Season 2006-07 Result
Newcastle United 3-2 Reading
 A.Sibierski 23,
 O.Martins 57 (pen),
 Emre 84.
 Harper 37,
 Harper 42.
Date: 06/12/2006  Venue: St.James' Park  Competition: Premiership
Crowd: 48,182
Match Report Submitted on 09/12/2006 by Smike
Allís Well That Ends Well.
Thereís a full team of players unavailable at the moment.

I was very disappointed to hear that Dyer wasnít playing again as heís made such a difference lately and itís no coincidence that our form has improved since heís returned. His pace and directness terrifies defenders. Ironically it was Dyer-like run that won us the game against Reading: Emre collected the ball on the halfway line and headed directly for goal, then drilled an unstoppable shot past Hahnemenn. It was a fantastic strike that was worthy of the three points and a fitting ending to what was a tremendous game.

All credit to Reading. It was evident from the first minute that they hadnít come for a point and both teams had early chances. The game was held up briefly by a distressed bird which had circled just above the players heads before crash landing onto the pitch, a steward came to the rescue.

The Toon could easily have scored 3 or 4 in the first 20 mins as both Martins and Sibierski squandered chances before Sibierski headed home on 23 mins after an exquisite cross from Solano. Then, in true Newcastle style we capitulated. Reading equalised with a shot from Harper that took a deflection off Solano and beat given at the near post. They then took the lead 3 mins later when Harper scored again after a humongous error by Babayaro. Reading looked the better team as half time approached.

As a result of Babayaroís first half lapses a small section of the crowd started booing him every time he touched the ball. I really wish these tossers would stay at home. This inadvertently prompted the real fans to get behind The Toon and the equaliser soon followed. Martins won, and then converted the penalty. The game then began to swing in our favour although Reading were still creating chances. Emre then sealed the 3 points his wonderful strike.

We had bother getting a pint before the game. Not only were we delayed by the sheer volume of traffic, but The Stage Door was closed and there was a private party upstairs in The Irish which meant downstairs was absolutely chocka. Luckily as we came out of The Irish there was a gang of about 20 people leaving Rosies (possibly Reading fans) and we got served quite easily. There were a few of the regulars missing. Johna was away fitting light bulbs in some European country and Passy was supervising his Great Aunt as she began knitting his tank top. However Greeny & John returned from holiday with tales of plastic beer glasses and toasted sandwiches!!!

News on the bird is that itís got a hamstring strain and will be out until mid February.