Season 2006-07 Result
Birmingham City 2-2 Newcastle United
 Campbell 15,
 Larsson 86.
 S.Taylor 40,
 K.Dyer 54.
Date: 06/01/2007  Venue: St Andrews  Competition: FA Cup
Crowd: 16,444
Match Report Submitted on 08/01/2007 by Luke
Got some I.D. Lee?

We (me, Ian, Lee, Jonny and Garry) set off from Jonny’s at 8 30.

Jonny remembered his coat this week after getting soaked last week at Everton. Ian was full of flu and really shouldn’t have gone but he battled on. We stopped at a services so we could grab some drink. I was gutted as I wanted a MacDonald’s but it was on the other side of a bridge. We then stopped at Dodiltons services to get a fry-up (we stop there every time we play a team from the midlands) £4.50 for a small breakfast is certainly better than what we had to cough up at Bolton!

We arrived at Birmingham at about 11.45 and set about looking for a space to park. We found a space just past the ground that was ideal but it didn’t look the safest place in the world to park with the pub opposite boarded up !! By this time it was lashing down so we headed straight down the road towards some pubs. Got to a pub called the Victoria but it was home fans only (which I think is shocking considering away fans can drink anywhere in Newcastle!) We ended up in a pub called Shannon’s.

Lee got asked for ID for some reason. He just went “I’m 25 mate, I don’t carry ID.”

After about 20 mins the first 3 Birmingham fans walked in. They looked like they had just come back from the pit. One of them had changed his name to “Birmingham”, the weirdo.

After a few drinks the time passed over and suddenly it was 2.15 - time to head to the ground. The rain had lessened a bit, but it was still chucking down. Me Ian and Lee headed to the ground whilst Jonny and Garry waited for Dirk and his mates because Jonny had their tickets. Once in the ground it was straight to our seats. Lee wasn’t his optimistic self, for a change, and said that he would settle for a draw from the match, and after the way we played last week against Everton and the way we started you’d say he was right. From their first set piece it was 1-0, Upson headed down and DJ Campbell was there to tap in and make it 1-0.

It’s starting to get to me now how we always seem to concede from set pieces! We brighten up a bit and just before half-time got what was a deserved equaliser. With our first corner Milner whipped one in and Taylor made a ghostly run to the near post and slotted in his 3rd of the season. Then, moments later, Martins raced clear only for Jaidi to haul him down just outside the box. It was the most blatant red card I’ve ever seen. It brought back memories from last month’s game at Blackburn.

Just after half-time we got our second, which really should have killed the game off. Martins played the ball through, Upson miss-kicked ball and Dyer was away, and he slotted the ball past Maik Taylor and sent the Geordies into raptures. Dyer, Milner and Martins then all had chances to finish it, but misses were to prove costly as our young defence failed to clear a cross from the left and Larsson was there to lash home.

In the end we were hanging on against 10 men. Before the start I would have taken a draw and especially after the way we started, but to go 2-1 up against 10 men I was disappointed we didn’t kill the game off - and now we’ve got an extra game we don’t want. It wasn’t really an eventful trip back. We listened to who I think will win the cup this year beat Liverpool with outstanding ease, and by the time that was finished we were at Scotch Corner. Hopefully next week at Spurs we might stop conceding from set pieces!!