Season 2007-08 Result
Derby County 1-0 Newcastle United
 Miller 39.
Date: 17/09/2007  Venue: Pride Park  Competition: Premiership
Crowd: 33,016
Match Report Submitted on 20/09/2007 by ?
The home team were looking to restore some pride into their aptly named Park after a shameful 6-0 pounding against an impressive Liverpool side, very soon before the tedious international break descended upon us.

On the contrary, the break couldn't have come at a worse time with Newcastle starting to excite through two comfortable wins and newly found clean sheets against Barnsley and Wigan correspondingly.

With Mark Viduka succumbing to a hamstring injury, Sam Allardyce preferred the big man, little man combination of Shola Ameobi and Michael Owen to recalling top scorer Obafemi Martins. And he kept faith with the back four which kept out Wigan Athletic, meaning no first start for Habib Beye or Abdoulaye Faye and a 50th for Charles N’Zogbia.

The killer blow came on 39mins when Bywater's long clearance fell to Miller who thumped a swerving effort beyond Harper into the top corner for what proved to be the winner. First impressions that the 'keeper had failed to react and mistakenly thought the shot was going over were substantiated by replays.

Our chances were few and far between - Geremi tested from a free kick and Rozenhal missed an open goal subsequent to a gallivanting seventy-yard run. And it was the Czech defender who was clearly fouled in the box seconds before Miller struck. A Newcastle corner seen Derby centre-half Leacock jostle the United defender only for referee Peter Walton to ignore Rozenhal's appeal. Nevertheless, supposedly a penalty kick was awarded and converted; it would have been underserved on a tigerish Derby display with Billy Davies' side clearly more committed and up for the game than Allardyce's team ever were. As the game went on we half expected Souness or Roeder to be barking instructions from the sideline - the performance synchronising the dark days of both managers.

Lapping it up, the home fans began singing “We’re going to win the league,” their 6-0 hammering by Liverpool seemingly a distant memory. Even ex-United full-back Aaron Griffin was taking pot-shots at Harper’s goal. And when Butt fouled Stephen Pearson as the former Celtic midfielder charged down the right, the crowd were baying for a red card. Fortunately it was just a yellow.