Season 2008-09 Result
Sunderland 2-1 Newcastle United
 Cisse 20,
 Richardson 75.
 S.Ameobi 30.
Date: 25/10/2008  Venue: The Stadium Of Light  Competition: Premiership
Crowd: 47,936
Match Report Submitted on 03/11/2008 by ?
All Good Things Come To An End!

So that's it. Our 28 year unbeaten run at 'The Village Of The Damned' comes to an end.

It's a long, long time since we've lost their patch (5th April 1980 to be precise) so I suppose it was inevitable that they'd beat us one day. Nevertheless there's some priceless memories to reflect back upon.
  • Who could ever forget that joyous day we beat them 4-1 when 'even Chopra scored', ultimately resulting in their relegation.
  • Or the Liam O'Brien freekick at the roker end that made it 11 wins from 11 games at the start of our 'Championship winning' 92/93 season.
  • And what about Dabizas' winning goal 01/02, (shirts off if ya love The Toon).
  • Beardsley & Ferdinands's goals in a 2-1 win in the last game at joker park when Toon fans were banned. Ha!
  • And don't forget even the likes of Domi, Helder & Andy O'Brien have all scored goals at their place.
To be honest today was their ideal opportunity, after all we're in total turmoil at the moment with the club up for sale, an interim caretaker manager, a long injury list and we're currently 2nd bottom of the league. This was their big chance! The atmosphere in The Newcastle Arms prior to the buses leaving more or less reflected this with most people agreeing that a point would be acceptable. I was convinced that if we could score first they'd bottle it again and we'd get the three points.

We had to call at the ticket office at 9am for duplicate tickets as the originals had 'gone missing in the post!' The lassie behind the counter enquired,

'Whos name were the tickets booked in?'
Wilf replied, 'Dirk Nitchke has booked them but they usually go to Joanne Kryworuska's address!'
Surprisingly we were given the tickets and it was off to The Newcastle Arms.

The journey to the dark place was quieter than usual with very few mackems to be seen. Even the queuing at the turnstiles was less boisterous than normal. However there were various 'It's 28 year' chants directed at the few locals that were present. Once inside, Greavsie emerged from the usual tumultuous chaos at the catering outlets with the pre-match beers and the news that they would not be opening at half time.

Predictably there were people in our seats with tickets they'd purchased from Neil: could he be a postman by any chance?

They scored first on 20 mins after having the best of the opening period and at that point I feared the worst. However 10 mins later we were back in it when Shola headed home Geremi's freekick at the back post. Oh how we celebrated!! We then had a good spell of possession going in level at half time.

On 75 mins Butt tripped Diouf on the edge of the penalty area as he waltzed forward, easily evading a half-hearted challenge from Danny Guthrie - who had been booked earlier. Given was helpless as Kieron Richardson smashed an unstoppable 18-yard free-kick into the roof of the net. At this point they looked the better team: having more scoring chances.

The final whistle saw some of the local chavs invade the playing area, soon followed by some Toon fans and for a moment chaos threatened in both corners as the police struggled to regain control. Significantly less Toon fans chose to return on the free buses, with a crowd estimated at 1,000 gathering next to the police lines for the escorted march to the metro station.

No doubt we'll witness the 2-1 taunts for the next 200 years....

Don't let them forget that out of a total of 139 derbies we've won 51 to their 43.

Roll on 31ST Jan.