Season 2012-13 Result
Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur
 Ba 54,
 Ben Arfa 80 (pen).
 J.Defoe 76.
Date: 18/08/2012  Venue: St.James' Park  Competition: Premiership
Crowd: 52,385
Match Report Submitted on 20/08/2012 by Jon Barron
Well the first game of the season got underway in Tillyís. A couple of swift pints with Kieron, Wilf, Studs, John and myself. The general feeling was that a point would be a good result.

In the ground the first real change that caught my eye was that the bird in front had obviously missed the pre-season training!! If she stood during the game Iíd never see around her! As you will see from the pictures I was taking my journalistic duties very seriously, having brought a notepad and pen so I didnít forget the score on the way home!

We never seemed to get going in the first half, Spurs closed us down quickly and dominated the possession. Whenever we had the ball we seemed to give it away! Tiote blew away the cobwebs with a crunching tackle on Kyle Walker early in the half.
All of the attacking play came from Tottenham as both Bale and Defoe hit the woodwork, fortunately both strikes fell safe off the rebound!

The best bit of action we got was a fight just below us in the stands!! See the attached picture of one of the culprits being led away by the police. We can only assume that the fight was over his dress sense!

The second half started much the same as the first. Everything changed when Walker failed to deal with a Simpson cross and his header fell at the feet at Demba Ba. Ba made it look too easy as he effortlessly curled the ball past Brad Freidel!! 1-0 to the toon!! The ground erupted with a deafening chorus of Demba Demba Ba!! The goal seemed to be the wake up call that Newcastle needed as they settled into a rhythm and began to dictate the play for the first time in the game.
Alan Pardew was sent to the stands shortly after the goal for a push on the linesman in disgust at a throw in decision. Stephen Taylor then displayed his break dancing skills with the caterpillar to head the ball along the ground to Krul.

Newcastleís dominance was spoilt by some sloppy defending with Defoe reacting first in the scramble to slot the ball past Krul to level the scores. Fortunately we regained the lead in under 5 mins. Ben Arfa who had shown flashes of brilliance throughout the game went into the box between Van der Vaart and Lennon, only to be brought down by both of them. When the referee pointed to the spot Ben Arfa picked up the ball and didnít let go until he was setting it on the spot. The ground was silent as he ran up to the ball and slotted it in the right corner, sending the keeper the wrong way! The ground erupts once again HATEM BEN ARFA!! 2-1!

The last bit of real action for us was a 30 yard shot from Jonas that was helped over the bar by Freidel.

All in all a good result and a cracking start to the season.